This condition is also called edema and is manifested by fluid retention that occurs during pregnancy. This retention causes swelling in the legs, ankles, and feet. It usually occurs in the last trimester of pregnancy.
During pregnancy there is a large increase in body water, in fact, much of the weight gain in pregnant women is due to increased body fluids, this increase is mainly due to the hormonal effect, which activates sodium and water retention in the kidneys.
As I told you above, the most common symptoms are swelling of the legs, feet, ankles, and hands due to fluid retention. If you notice swelling in the face or around the eyes and pronounced swelling in the hands and feet with exaggeration, it could be a sign of pre-eclampsia, which is a very serious disease. Or another observation maybe that one leg is more swollen than the other, especially if you have any pain in the area, it could be a sign of a blood clot. Visit your family doctor as soon as possible.
The occurrence of this condition may be due to the following causes:
- Mainly the most common cause is fluid retention. The uterus reaches a large volume, compressing the blood vessels that carry blood from the lower limbs to the heart. Due to this tension, fluid from the body will accumulate in the tissues and form edema. During pregnancy, the extracellular fluid increases, and the permeability of blood vessels increases due to estrogen, which causes swelling of the legs and ankles.
- Another cause of edema in pregnant women is due to decreased protein concentration in the blood, which in turn facilitates the flow of water from the veins to peripheral tissues, favoring its accumulation in the form of edema.
- Women should know that edema can also occur due to excessive weight accumulated during pregnancy.
- Standing for a long time or without moving your legs, excessive salt intake, and low potassium levels.
During pregnancy you can use the following herbs:
- The ponytail is widely used due to its action on the renal system. It is diuretic and very rich in potassium and therefore helps to regulate the body. If you are pregnant and want to use this plant, I recommend that you consult a doctor, as it must be administered individually.
- Barley. Its water is highly recommended for edema in the lower limbs during pregnancy. The strong diuretic, which ensures immediate relief, should be prepared by boiling 100g of cleaned barley in ½ liter of water until reduced by half, let it cool, and drink ½ glass 3 times a day.
- Rosemary is known to many people due to its properties. This is very good if your feet are swollen during pregnancy. Prepare a decoction to include in a foot bath for 15 minutes, dry your feet with a towel massaging from the bottom up 12 times on each side, and then put your feet up for another 15 minutes, internal use prohibited during pregnancy.